- Buyer's Guide
- About Us
- Special Sections
The American Society of Nephrology has created a new foundation, the ASN Foundation for Kidney Research, to create research advances in the treatment of kidney patients, and reach a cure for the disease.
"Fighting and curing kidney disease, the 8th leading cause of death in America, requires the best and brightest minds in medicine and research to apply creativity, time and expertise to this major public health concern," said an ASN release.
The ASN Foundation for Kidney Research has established a 5-year fundraising goal of $20 million, and has already raised more than $14 million, most of it raised by founding members. A lead $10 million gift from Fresenius Medical Care established the Ben J. Lipps Research Fellowship Program.
Additional contributions from Amgen, Baxter International Inc. and ASN established the following fellowships:
- Five Ben J. Lipps Research Fellows, named for the Fresenius Medical Care CEO and chairman of the management board
- One Sharon Anderson Research Fellow, named for ASN's first female president, funded by ASN
- One Dimitrios G. Oreopoulos Research Fellow, named for one of the pioneers of peritoneal dialysis, funded by Baxter International Inc.
- One George B. Rathmann Research Fellow, named for the founding CEO of Amgen
- Two ASN Foundation for Kidney Research Fellows