UPDATE: The public comment period for the measures has been extended to Aug.19, 2013.
New quality measures developed by Arbor Research related to treating kidney disease and dialysis patients are available for review and comment through August 12.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services has contracted with Arbor Research/UM-KECC to develop this new set of measures, which cover preventive care, hemodialysis adequacy, mineral and bone disorders, and pediatric peritoneal dialysis adequacy.
The list of measures includes:
- ESRD Vaccination – Full-Season Influenza Vaccination
- ESRD Vaccination – Timely Influenza Vaccination
- ESRD Vaccination – Influenza Vaccination of Dialysis Facility Healthcare Personnel
- ESRD Vaccination – Lifetime Pneumococcal Vaccination
- ESRD Vaccination – Pneumococcal Vaccination (PCV13)
- ESRD Vaccination – Pneumococcal Vaccination (PPSV23)
- Ultrafiltration Rate > 13 ml/kg/hr
- Standard Kt/V Reporting Measure
- Surface Area Normalized Standard Kt/V Reporting Measure
Mineral and Bone Disorder
- Percentage of Dialysis Patients with Dietary Counseling
- Percentage of all peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis with uncorrected serum calcium measured at least once within a month
- Measurement of Plasma PTH Concentration
- Measurement of Serum Phosphorus Concentration
Pediatric PD Adequacy
- Achievement of Target Kt/V
- Frequency of Measurement of Kt/V
A full copy of each measure can be downloaded at the CMS website at https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/MMS/CallforPublicComment.html. Scroll to the very bottom of the web page; the name of the zip file is ‘Call_for_Public_Comment_ESRD_Quality_Measures’.
CMS and Arbor are accepting general comments on the entire measure set or comments specific to certain measures. At the end of the public comment period, all comments will be posted on the CMS website.
If you are providing comments on behalf of an organization, include the organization’s name and your contact information. If you are commenting as an individual, submit identifying or contact information. Comments are due by Aug. 19. Email comments to ESRD_Quality_Measures@ArborResearch.org
The measure specifications for each draft measure can be reviewed in the Measure Information Form (MIF) and the Measure Justification Form (MJF). You may also review the comments and recommendations provided by the Technical Expert Panels that offered advice on the measures to Arbor in the TEP Summary Report. All of these documents are available for download on the CMS website at https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/MMS/CallforPublicComment
CMS and Arbor also solicited comments on six additional measures in May related to dialysis care. Five of the measures deal with anemia management; one measure covers how dialysis clinics perform in controlling hospital readmissions within the first 30 days.The draft anemia measures includes a proposal to add a "floor" for hemoglobin measurement.