One patient has died after a cleaning chemical was accidentally released into the dialysis water supply May 29 at Royal Alexandra Hospital, the Edmonton Sun reported June 2.  The man, who died May 31, was one of four patients who were being monitored after it was discovered that they were hooked up to the machine that contained the chemical. The Hospital announced the death June 2. The hospital said in a statement issued to the Sun that it is not known if the seat his a result of the chemical exposure.

A valve was accidentally turned on during regular system cleaning, the hospital said.