U.S. News & World Report has ranked the top 50 hospitals for nephrology based mostly on death rates for patients who represent especially challenging cases, as well as on patient safety and other measures of performance that can be assessed using hard data. The magazine said it also factors in an annual reputational survey of physicians, who are asked to name hospitals they consider the best in their specialty for difficult cases.
The top 10 include:
- Mayo Clinic. Rochester, Minn.
- Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland
- New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell, New York City
- UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
- Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
- UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
- Duke University Hospital, Durham, N.C.
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville